
Last week was carnaval vacation here in the south of Holland. That meant five days of partying, parades, and pissing in public. And I saw it all.
I had the week off and managed to to do nothing on my list of personal projects and did a few things that had no relevance or importance at all. One of those included watching several of the Oscar nominated films: Revolutionary Road, The Reader, Vicky Christina Barcelona and The Wrestler. I consider a good film one that keeps me analyzing the characters and sequence of events for days after watching it, and I did that with both Revolutionary Road and The Reader. Both had very noteworthy performances by Kate Winslet. Amazing actress.
So this week I am back to work and with so many things to do. And as kharma would have it, I have a cold. I don't have time to be sick. I have too much to do. I'm working on willing myself NOT to be sick. I'm hoping the power of positive thinking will make it all go away!
This morning I went by the grocery store to buy a pack of tissues to take to work. While in line, a sweet elderly lady began talking to me out of the blue. She explained that her husband was ill and that she had recently taken a fall and had trouble walking, but she still had to get out to the grocery shopping. Always one looking for opportunities to practice random acts of kindness, I helped load the groceries in her grocery cart as well as in the trunk of her car. All I could think at that moment is that one day that might be me. And I hope someone would be so kind as well. Never miss the chance to be kind. One day you may be the one needing help. And so far in my life, this theory has worked for me. I have always met the nicest people in life when I was in a situation needing help. And as a foreigner in a foreign land, I know how important it is to be kind to strangers.
Perhaps the good energy that I have exerted today will have a positive effect on my health. Who knows. But it can't hurt to think that. I just know that if you want goodness in your life, you have to be willing to share that with other people. What goes around, comes around.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"Insane people are always sure that they are fine. It is only the sane people who are willing to admit that they are crazy." ~Nora Ephron
About me
Hi. I'm Brigitte. I'm an American expatriate living in the Netherlands (Nederland) since 2002 with my Dutch hubby and our two kids. I'm enjoying the simple Dutch life...while trying to maintain some sense of sanity.
This blog
Most people buy a house, have a child, and move within a lifetime. I did all three within one year. Crazy has always felt like a normal state of mind for me.
I came to the Netherlands for the challenge, but I never expected how much I would learn about myself. Or how much I would change. This is my journey. Enjoy the ride.
I came to the Netherlands for the challenge, but I never expected how much I would learn about myself. Or how much I would change. This is my journey. Enjoy the ride.

0 comments:
Post a Comment