Nuts in Nederland

The other side of crazy

18.2.11

Someone Just Like You

Posted by Brigitte van Pelt |

It wasn't until recently that I understood why being in a relationship with someone similar as yourself just doesn't work.  I've dated all kinds of types of guys.  Most of whom were very different than me.  And only a few that were very similar to myself.  


And the ones who were just like me?  They were outgoing, funny, and spontaneous.  The life of the party.  But that's where it went wrong.  I couldn't compete.  I wanted to be the funny one in the relationship.  I wanted to be the one with all the cool ideas.  I wanted to be the joke teller.  I wanted to be the one with all the cool dance moves.  But I couldn't.  And being second best at the things that I thought made me unique just didn't cut it.  

That's why I believe we choose relationships with people who are strong in the areas where we are weak.  They balance us.  In fact, we're glad to find someone who can help us be stronger.  But those qualities that we think we are rock stars at....back off.  We don't want any competition.  

So, what kind of man did I marry?  My polar opposite.  He's happy to let me take the spotlight and be the joke teller.  He dances like a white boy.  He's just your average Joe who has his life in order.  He's punctual, he follows the rules, and he's the guy you go to if you need to solve a problem (especially computer related).  In other words, I married a nerd.  ;-)  

While I'm not a party animal, nor have I ever been, I do like being in the company of crowds.  I love people.  I love entertaining them with jokes and stories.  After a party, I cannot sleep because I am so wired from all the energy.  I love going to a big city, such as Amsterdam.  I love being surrounded by the noise of the trains, cars and people talking.  

When my hubby has a day to himself, he choses to go somewhere quiet.  Like the woods or the beach on a cold day.  He doesn't like crowds; he detests them.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe