Since being diagnosed with OCD in 2008, I am quite open about my "problem". I don't let it define me, but it does have a significant influence on my behavior.
I went to see my psychiatrist back in September to discuss the possibility of trying a new drug. I've been taking Zoloft, however, I find I struggle to stay awake no matter how much I sleep. It's like taking a sedative. And I miss the drive I used to have. Compared to the old me, who couldn't stop, Zoloft makes me never want to start. It's either one extreme or the other.
Given my choices: Stay on Zoloft (be tired a lot), switch to another drug (and wait to see what side effects I endure) or stop all drugs (and then go back to being crazy). Considering crazy is not an option, I've accepted that I will have to take drugs to be normal. Gee, that just sounds weird. And up until recent years, I've never done drugs. But you don't want to know how many times in high school and college that people assumed I did. Because I was just so freaking nuts. "Nope," I would just tell them, "I'm just weird." ;-)
I opted for option #1. Stick with Zoloft, at least for a while. At the beginning of September, I started back to work after being unemployed for the past year. And I wasn't prepared to deal with adjusting to a new drug while trying to start my own business. One life changing event at a time, please.
For the past month, I lowered my dosage hoping to alleviate the tiredness. While I wasn't going to bed at 8 pm, I still wanted to nap during the day. And I can almost guarantee that if I stop taking my medication all together, I will slowly over time go back to living in "warp" mood. That means staying up until 2 am trying to finish as many things as I possibly can in one day. Organizing, sorting, and cleaning become my obsession and I cannot stop. Going to sleep at night is a struggle, because then my mind won't shut off and I feel restless.
This is where I'm currently at, because a few weeks ago I decided to go cold turkey. I wanted to get Zoloft out of my system so that I could be ready for a new drug. I have an appointment with my doctor next week and then I get to tell him what I want to do. And I have decided to switch to Prozac.
He gave me the choice between Prozac and Luvox, and based on my research I have decided to go with Prozac. I dread the idea of getting used to a new chemical in my body. But I am also hoping that
I went to see my psychiatrist back in September to discuss the possibility of trying a new drug. I've been taking Zoloft, however, I find I struggle to stay awake no matter how much I sleep. It's like taking a sedative. And I miss the drive I used to have. Compared to the old me, who couldn't stop, Zoloft makes me never want to start. It's either one extreme or the other.
Given my choices: Stay on Zoloft (be tired a lot), switch to another drug (and wait to see what side effects I endure) or stop all drugs (and then go back to being crazy). Considering crazy is not an option, I've accepted that I will have to take drugs to be normal. Gee, that just sounds weird. And up until recent years, I've never done drugs. But you don't want to know how many times in high school and college that people assumed I did. Because I was just so freaking nuts. "Nope," I would just tell them, "I'm just weird." ;-)
I opted for option #1. Stick with Zoloft, at least for a while. At the beginning of September, I started back to work after being unemployed for the past year. And I wasn't prepared to deal with adjusting to a new drug while trying to start my own business. One life changing event at a time, please.
For the past month, I lowered my dosage hoping to alleviate the tiredness. While I wasn't going to bed at 8 pm, I still wanted to nap during the day. And I can almost guarantee that if I stop taking my medication all together, I will slowly over time go back to living in "warp" mood. That means staying up until 2 am trying to finish as many things as I possibly can in one day. Organizing, sorting, and cleaning become my obsession and I cannot stop. Going to sleep at night is a struggle, because then my mind won't shut off and I feel restless.
This is where I'm currently at, because a few weeks ago I decided to go cold turkey. I wanted to get Zoloft out of my system so that I could be ready for a new drug. I have an appointment with my doctor next week and then I get to tell him what I want to do. And I have decided to switch to Prozac.
He gave me the choice between Prozac and Luvox, and based on my research I have decided to go with Prozac. I dread the idea of getting used to a new chemical in my body. But I am also hoping that

0 comments:
Post a Comment