A few years ago, I was unemployed. And during that time I tried to land several positions, all within my field, only to get every door closed in my face (figuratively, of course).
I was prepared. I did my research on the organization. I wore my best clothes. I wore my lucky shoes. And I interviewed well. But, each time....I only got rejection. That was so frustrating.
All along I kept wondering, "What is God trying to show me?" I searched for work for over a year. And for the first time in my life, I was actually angry at God. I didn't understand why all my attempts to find employment were unsuccessful despite all my preparedness. Why? Why? Why? Why was it taking so long? Why was every opportunity not working out? I had always been lucky, able to find work quickly. So why not this time?
All I knew is that when the whole process was over that it would finally make sense to me. And it wasn't over, yet. Gosh, how I wanted it all to be over. Can we fast forward to the end of this misery, please?
And then one day, my friend Angel suggested that I start my own business. Talk about feeling anxious and scared. That idea gave me the heebee-jeebees.
I mulled over the idea in my mind for at least two weeks. Should I do it? Should I not? What did I have to loose? Not much.
And then finally, I decided "What the heck!" Why not be in the driver's seat of my life? And once I announced the idea to my husband, he only had to say, "Go for it!" and I knew it was the best decision to make. Having his support made it that much easier.
And then I did it. August 8th, 2011 I registered Quest Communications with the Chamber of Commerce. I was officially a business owner. And it was remarkably easy. Sign a few papers, pay the fee and voila!
Since September, I have been teaching English at the Leonardo School (a school for gifted students (ages 6-12) here in Breda) once a week for two hours. And via the language training company, Elycio Talen, I provide individual training in English to adults who need to improve their English for work or due to relocation to the US. I do both on a freelance basis and enjoy the freedom of being able to do this while my children are at school. I currently teach about 10 hours/week, however, once you factor in my travel time, preparation and administration, it ends up around 20 hours/week. I am quite content with this and wouldn't want to work any more hours. With two young children, my first priority is to make sure I am home for them as much as possible. I make sure I take off when the kids' have vacation from school, thus never having to worry about childcare or that I won't be around for them.
This was definitely NOT the idea I had for my future when I set out to find a job. I wanted to continue working at a university, as I love that sphere. But without a PhD, I am limited. Working for myself, I have a lot more flexibility and possibilities. And for that I am grateful.
The lesson that I learned from this whole situation is that we are often looking for a job, waiting for our future to happen and wondering how things will be better. And instead of looking, waiting and wondering.....you have to MAKE your future happen. Instead of hoping someone while GIVE you a job, you can CREATE your own.
And that is what God was trying to teach me.
I was prepared. I did my research on the organization. I wore my best clothes. I wore my lucky shoes. And I interviewed well. But, each time....I only got rejection. That was so frustrating.
All along I kept wondering, "What is God trying to show me?" I searched for work for over a year. And for the first time in my life, I was actually angry at God. I didn't understand why all my attempts to find employment were unsuccessful despite all my preparedness. Why? Why? Why? Why was it taking so long? Why was every opportunity not working out? I had always been lucky, able to find work quickly. So why not this time?
All I knew is that when the whole process was over that it would finally make sense to me. And it wasn't over, yet. Gosh, how I wanted it all to be over. Can we fast forward to the end of this misery, please?
And then one day, my friend Angel suggested that I start my own business. Talk about feeling anxious and scared. That idea gave me the heebee-jeebees.
I mulled over the idea in my mind for at least two weeks. Should I do it? Should I not? What did I have to loose? Not much.
And then finally, I decided "What the heck!" Why not be in the driver's seat of my life? And once I announced the idea to my husband, he only had to say, "Go for it!" and I knew it was the best decision to make. Having his support made it that much easier.
And then I did it. August 8th, 2011 I registered Quest Communications with the Chamber of Commerce. I was officially a business owner. And it was remarkably easy. Sign a few papers, pay the fee and voila!
Since September, I have been teaching English at the Leonardo School (a school for gifted students (ages 6-12) here in Breda) once a week for two hours. And via the language training company, Elycio Talen, I provide individual training in English to adults who need to improve their English for work or due to relocation to the US. I do both on a freelance basis and enjoy the freedom of being able to do this while my children are at school. I currently teach about 10 hours/week, however, once you factor in my travel time, preparation and administration, it ends up around 20 hours/week. I am quite content with this and wouldn't want to work any more hours. With two young children, my first priority is to make sure I am home for them as much as possible. I make sure I take off when the kids' have vacation from school, thus never having to worry about childcare or that I won't be around for them.
This was definitely NOT the idea I had for my future when I set out to find a job. I wanted to continue working at a university, as I love that sphere. But without a PhD, I am limited. Working for myself, I have a lot more flexibility and possibilities. And for that I am grateful.
And that is what God was trying to teach me.


0 comments:
Post a Comment