I'm still unemployed. I didn't get the job at the university. And somehow I'm OK with that.
It does get tiring, however, being asked on a regular basis "Have you found a job yet?" The answer is always the same. And the process is always the same. I apply. I wait. I get rejected. Rather. Rinse. Repeat.
For now I just focus on the positive things I can do with all this extra time. I've signed up to be a volunteer visiting imprisoned mothers at our local prison. As the summer vacation is approaching, I won't get to do the training until September. But I am looking forward to this opportunity and most importantly giving women HOPE.
We all make mistakes. And sometimes you have to hit rock bottom to make it to the top. I know. For me, the year 1995 will always be the year I managed to make all the wrong choices. However, 1996 was the year my life went uphill and from there it only got better.
Sometimes I think God uses me here in the Netherlands to give others hope. To show people that you can overcome your problems. And there are moments that I experience such an overwhelming feeling of "service" that I know this is where God wants me to be.
I always wanted to live abroad. There was something inside of me that just felt I belonged in Europe. I told my parents when I was in mid-20's, "Don't expect me to marry an American." And that was BEFORE I met my Dutchie.
As life has worked out, I've managed to live out my dream. I'm raising bilingual children in a foreign country, just as I always imagined. And I'm married to my best friend.
I love my life here. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else other than Breda. It's a great city full of culture, charm and community. I have everything I ever wanted. And I suppose that is why I am able to relax about the whole job issue.
There are worse things that could happen. And as long as my little family and I are healthy and happy, the rest is just icing on the cake. I know as long as I keep the right attitude, remain positive and persistent, it will all work out. It always does.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"Insane people are always sure that they are fine. It is only the sane people who are willing to admit that they are crazy." ~Nora Ephron
About me
Hi. I'm Brigitte. I'm an American expatriate living in the Netherlands (Nederland) since 2002 with my Dutch hubby and our two kids. I'm enjoying the simple Dutch life...while trying to maintain some sense of sanity.
This blog
Most people buy a house, have a child, and move within a lifetime. I did all three within one year. Crazy has always felt like a normal state of mind for me.
I came to the Netherlands for the challenge, but I never expected how much I would learn about myself. Or how much I would change. This is my journey. Enjoy the ride.
I came to the Netherlands for the challenge, but I never expected how much I would learn about myself. Or how much I would change. This is my journey. Enjoy the ride.


0 comments:
Post a Comment