"I don't know how to stop myself." That's the answer I gave in 2008 when my psychiatrist asked me to summarize my OCD problem in one sentence.
Five years later, I feel like I can't get started. My motivation and drive are gone. That's the problem with prolonged SSRI use. Eventually you experience AAS: Antidepressant Apathy Syndrome.
I went through this in 2011 when I decided that Zoloft wasn't the drug for me and went off it for a few months. My energy came back, but so did the anxiety. I asked my psychiatrist about augmenting Zoloft with Wellbutrin (Bupropion), and instead he put me soley on Bupropion. And that was a mistake. It made me more anxious and I had terrible insomnia.
There has to be an answer. Surely I am not the only patient taking an SSRI that needs to find the right dosage.
I sent my psychiatrist an e-mail asking him how I can alleviate my AAS problem while taking Prozac. While I am happy that I don't experience anxiety or depression, I miss the feeling of being motivated and having a drive and determination. I feel like I am just floating through life. And I waste so much time sleeping.
I keep telling myself when this long winter is finally over and the sun is shining that my motivation will reappear, just like the leaves and flowers. But I don't want to go into hibernation every winter. I want to have energy even when the sun isn't shining.
Apparently the choice I have now is: "crazy and energetic" or "normal and sleepy". I just want to be "normal" without always feeling so sleepy.
Five years later, I feel like I can't get started. My motivation and drive are gone. That's the problem with prolonged SSRI use. Eventually you experience AAS: Antidepressant Apathy Syndrome.
I went through this in 2011 when I decided that Zoloft wasn't the drug for me and went off it for a few months. My energy came back, but so did the anxiety. I asked my psychiatrist about augmenting Zoloft with Wellbutrin (Bupropion), and instead he put me soley on Bupropion. And that was a mistake. It made me more anxious and I had terrible insomnia.
There has to be an answer. Surely I am not the only patient taking an SSRI that needs to find the right dosage.
I sent my psychiatrist an e-mail asking him how I can alleviate my AAS problem while taking Prozac. While I am happy that I don't experience anxiety or depression, I miss the feeling of being motivated and having a drive and determination. I feel like I am just floating through life. And I waste so much time sleeping.
I keep telling myself when this long winter is finally over and the sun is shining that my motivation will reappear, just like the leaves and flowers. But I don't want to go into hibernation every winter. I want to have energy even when the sun isn't shining.
Apparently the choice I have now is: "crazy and energetic" or "normal and sleepy". I just want to be "normal" without always feeling so sleepy.



0 comments:
Post a Comment