Today I went back to work after having the last week off with the kids during the carnaval vacation here in the south of the Netherlands. I was ready for that vacation as I needed some down time to just chill out and not think about work.
The further I get to the end of my contract at work, the more difficult it seems to feel. I don't want to leave my job. I love my colleagues. I love where I work. I love it all. But there's no money to keep me there and I have to go. Damn credit crisis.
During dinner tonight I started crying in silence. I felt defeated. I'm tired of looking for jobs. And I'm tired of being rejected. I just want to know what's next. I want to be able to feel as if I know where my life is headed. And this uncertainty is getting to me.
In the beginning of my job search, I was positive, I was hopeful. But now it's nearly a year later and I'm just tired. I want to have something positive to look forward to. I want to know that all the time I spent in grad school isn't going to go down the drain. And that all the money I am paying back on my student loans affords me a job that compensates my education.
I'm almost forty and I need to be at a place in my career where I can be getting experience in the field where I want to go. I don't want to waste time in a job where I'm not happy, challenged, or rewarded for my intelligence. I don't want to end up settling for a job just for the paycheck. But sometimes I feel as if that may be my last alternative. If not, a temporary alternative.
During the vacation I forgot to take my Zoloft in the morning and took it later in the evening. I did this twice. And that had a negative consequence. I caught myself getting frustrated, my thoughts began to race and I was short with the children. It only re-confirmed that I DON'T want to go back to the life I endured for 38 years as someone with OCD. Now that I am this side of normal, I don't want to go back to crazy.
I am sure if I weren't medicated now, I would be crying a lot more. With the whole job situation and being constantly pre-occupied with finding a job, I am sure my mind would be on overload and I would feel overwhelmed. But thankfully I don't have to live that way anymore. And I cannot tell you how much better life is to have a clear mind. Or at least to have control over my thoughts and rationalize and talk myself out of irrational behaviors.
Despite the dreariness of going to a job that's ending, I am grateful for my time while I have it. I couldn't ask for a better job. And I am confident that God has a plan and a purpose for why this job quest is taking so long. I hold fast to my faith. I know in the end, it will all make sense why things had to happen the way they did. I just haven't reached that point yet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"Insane people are always sure that they are fine. It is only the sane people who are willing to admit that they are crazy." ~Nora Ephron
About me
Hi. I'm Brigitte. I'm an American expatriate living in the Netherlands (Nederland) since 2002 with my Dutch hubby and our two kids. I'm enjoying the simple Dutch life...while trying to maintain some sense of sanity.
This blog
Most people buy a house, have a child, and move within a lifetime. I did all three within one year. Crazy has always felt like a normal state of mind for me.
I came to the Netherlands for the challenge, but I never expected how much I would learn about myself. Or how much I would change. This is my journey. Enjoy the ride.
I came to the Netherlands for the challenge, but I never expected how much I would learn about myself. Or how much I would change. This is my journey. Enjoy the ride.

0 comments:
Post a Comment